Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Grandma is an Indian

There is always that certain student--sometimes multiple students--that really tug at your heart.  I don't say that to mean that this student is a favorite, but he/she is one that you can't help but to see his/her unique and special qualities more easily.  In my class, we are going to call this little boy Preston.  Preston can be such a handful, but at the same time I can't help but secretly wish that I could just pick him up and take him home with me.  Preston has trouble sitting still; he struggles to keep his hands to himself and rarely stays on task with anything I give him.  But, every day, he never fails to ask this one simple question: "Mrs. Sims, may I please have a hug?"  And there it is.  Smiling Heart.

Well, at the same time that he asks that precious question, Preston also has some very random things at times that he so desperately wants to share with me.  This day was just one of those days I guess.  We were in the middle of a story, when out of nowhere Preston shouted out that he had a question.  "May I ask you a question please?" ...."Wait until we are finished with the story, Preston."  Well we finish the story, discuss, and go back to our chairs for an activity.  Preston has forgotten about the question, as have I, so we go about the lesson.  Well when it's time to get lined about for specials, Preston all of a sudden remembers that questions again.  But because I am trying to get the class lined up, I tell him to go sit down and wait.  He follows me around the room and continues with the same line, "Mrs. Sims can I ask a question please? Mrs. Sims can I say something please?" Until I finally stop and look at him.  He looks like he's about to cry, so I think maybe something bad has happened to him.  I get down on his level and say, "Ok Preston, what is it sweetie?"  And with those big, serious adorable eyes staring at mine, Preston says.........

"My grandma is an Indian."

And then returns to his seat.

Welcome to the mind of a 5 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment