Friday, October 21, 2011

I've got muscles!

As many schools do, we have a dress code policy at my school.  As part of this dress code, students are only allowed to wear red, white, and blue shirts on Monday-Thursday, and they have the option to wear a school spirit shirt on Fridays.  Because my school enforces dress code pretty heavily, we are told that a student who comes to school wearing a shirt that is not red/white/blue will have to put on a white t-shirt (we have several in each classroom) until the end of the day.

Most of my students do a fairly good job of coming to school in dress code, so I rarely have to use the white shirts.  But, every so often one of my little friends does come to school out of dress code, and I have no choice but to pull one of the white shirts down and explain to him/her why he/she will have to wear it today.  This is a story about one of those times.

It was the beginning of the day, and my little friend Preston came into the classroom wearing a button down blue/black plaid shirt.  "Mrs. Sims, do you like my shirt today?!" I let him know that I thought it was a lovely shirt.  But I also had to let him know he was not in dress code, and we were going to have to put a white shirt on over it.  I went to the back to get one of the shirts, and I called him back there to meet me.  As he was walking over, I saw that he had unbuttoned his shirt a little bit and was opening it up a bit, trying to expose his chest.  He held it open and puffed his chest out a little bit as he walked back to where I was.  When he got there I said, "Preston put your shirt back up.  Why are you pulling it down?"

And with a big smile Preston said, "well look Mrs. Sims! I've got muscles!"

No comments:

Post a Comment