The other day, just like every day, my class and I started our morning routine on the carpet. We had our "brain smart" song time, our morning message time, and our calendar time. We were beginning to transition into a shared reading activity, when something happened between two of my students (a daily occurrence of course). One was telling me that the other had hit him, so I asked the other student about it. Of course he told me he didn't do it, but everyone around him (another "of course" moment in kindergarten) began shouting out that they saw him do it "yah huh Mrs. Sims, he did do it!" I then said something like "Now, I hope we aren't lying about hitting. Because when we lie, we often get into more trouble than we would if we just tell the truth. We always want to tell the truth." And here we go...
At that moment, one of the girls chimed in, "Yeah Mrs. Sims, if you tell a lie you's gonna go down there (points to the ground) where the devil is."
...I nod and smile, gathering the class back to what we originally planned on doing.
"OH but Mrs. Sims, if you tell a lie and ask God to forgive you, you not gonna go down there with the devil"
...I nod and smile again, still getting the class back on task.
And then another student looked at the little girl and said, with the most serious look on his face, "If you's keep pointin down there...you's gonna go down there!"
You can't help but smile sometimes. :)
At that moment, one of the girls chimed in, "Yeah Mrs. Sims, if you tell a lie you's gonna go down there (points to the ground) where the devil is."
...I nod and smile, gathering the class back to what we originally planned on doing.
"OH but Mrs. Sims, if you tell a lie and ask God to forgive you, you not gonna go down there with the devil"
...I nod and smile again, still getting the class back on task.
And then another student looked at the little girl and said, with the most serious look on his face, "If you's keep pointin down there...you's gonna go down there!"
You can't help but smile sometimes. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment