Thursday, October 20, 2011

Children Make My Heart Smile

In September 2009, I received my first "real world" job.  I would be a kindergarten teacher; I would begin teaching in week 3 of the school year to a group of precious kiddos who had not had an official teacher for the first 2 weeks of school.  Needless to say, I had my work cutout for me that year!  For those of you who don't know anything about teaching, the first 2 weeks of school are the most crucial weeks of the year.  In those two weeks you establish everything: rules, routines, relationships. I'm not saying those things don't happen when you start the year later, but it is definitely more difficult to start the year without structure in those first two weeks--especially in kindergarten! But I have to say--when it was all said and done--that was one of the best years of my life.  I learned so much that year, so much about myself as a person and a teacher, so much about children and the joy and laughter they can so easily bring to one's life.

Well, it's now been 2 years since I received that job, and I have started a third year as a kindergarten teacher.  Teaching Kindergarten is one of the most incredible and one of the most undesirable jobs, all at the same time.  There are days when I can't imagine doing anything else, and then there are days when I want to pull every hair out of my head one by one.  There are days when I can look at a child and think, "you are the most beautiful person in the world," and other days when I want to scream out "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" If you have every spent a day with children..you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Which brings me to the point of this blog.  In my first year of teaching, every day was a new adventure.  I heard and saw new things that brought me so much joy, sadness, anger, frustration, etc.  I started thinking about all the ridiculous things that can so often come out of a kindergartener's mouth, and how lucky I am to get to experience so many of those moments.  I wanted to share that joy with others, and the best way I knew how was to start a blog.

Except, I failed to actually write any blog posts in those first two years.  I created the blog, and thought about blogging many times, but never actually did.  Until now! Third time's a charm, so they say.  This is my third year, and I'm here to share the many reasons why i have a Smiling Heart.

...Children Make my heart Smile.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jack =)

    My kindergarten teacher has been one of the most influential people in my life. Growing up in a small town, we saw a lot of each other and both my brother and me were in her classroom as 5-year-olds. She is a precious gem whom I think of often and I cherish her influence over and in my life.

    Not every student will remember you in 20 years and very few will revisit your classroom, but I hope that at least a few of them will. I hope that they will see what I see in you - a teacher who cares for them deeply and desires to set them up for success in so many areas of life. Your task may seem daunting some days, but others it will be as simple as laughing with them or offering a listening ear.

    I have much admiration for you and the role you have chosen in the lives of little ones. May each day have some small reminder for you of how important you are in their little lives and how God is using you in a much bigger picture.

    Love you, Mrs. Sims!
    char

    ReplyDelete